Thursday 10 November 2011

Blog 69!!! Drunk, tiredness & water!!! (Random!)

Hi Everyone,

Happy Thursday.

Hope you're all doing well. I am posting this early as I have a busy day today. A few appointments this morning to sort out, including a voice massage with the physio before my vocal acrobatic weekend that's coming up. Then I'm going to the theatre this afternoon before a quick meeting this evening and then an early night.

I am not at Wicked from today for a few days. I am back in the show next Tuesday. 

Tomorrow I head to Cardiff to crack on with the major rehearsals for my TV show, singing with my band, dance rehearsals with the Choreographer Ashley and lots of scripting meetings and costume sessions etc. Brain is going to be well and truly frazzled - but hey you'll hear all about next week in my blog next Thursday.

So what's been going on this week? It's been pretty crazy to be honest. Last Thursday I posted my blog and then went to meet my friend Amy for lunch from her rehearsals for White Christmas. We had a great catch up - never long enough when you meet someone on a lunch hour though eh?! Could've chatted for days. She's a great friend who I don't see enough of.
I then had a phone interview for some album promotion. After that I decided I would run through my entire TV show in my dressing room at Wicked. I ran the songs, the dancing, all the links and bits to camera - all by myself in my room like a teenager who's pretending to be a singing and dancing version of Ant or Dec. "Good evening and welcome to the show….." Geek!!!
I was pleased with how well my private rehearsal went though. I remembered a lot more lyrics than I anticipated and I felt very confident after doing it so it was definitely worth doing. After that I met my agent to discuss a new project I'm going to be working on after Wicked which I will announce soon. I'm looking forward to you all knowing what I'll be up to. As soon as I can, I'll tell you I promise!

Thursday night I was a little tired after a busy day so I had a quick drink with a few guys from the show then I went home to get a good sleep. Friday morning I  woke and did a lot of work before meeting my mate Haley to catch up over lunch in a cute little cafe where they give you blankets if you're sitting outside. Felt nice and cosy in the wintery weather. I then went to do a good 100 lengths of the swimming pool. Swimming is so easy when you have a lot on your mind. I had the entire pool to myself and I felt like a fish - I love water. Weather is be drinking it, swimming in it, the shower, the sea or even watching a river - I find all water really therapeutic and fascinating. 

I then met a couple of my mates who were up for the weekend from Cardiff. We went for some food and then they watched the evening show. They really enjoyed it and I was glad they had a good time. Love having Welsh people in the audience. After a quick beverage with them I said farewell and told them I'd see them the next day for breakfast in my favourite cafe. I met them on the Saturday at Le Pain Quotidien in Victoria for some great food, then I went in to do the matinee. I was really tired after the matinee but knew that I needed to perk up somehow because I had another performance to do and then had plans to go out for drinks with my Welsh pals.
I simply had some food and then put on some good motivational tunes in my dressing room, had a Lucozade and then hyperactively got through the evening show before heading out for food and cocktails - although I had 3 cocktails (which were REALLY strong) before my food had even arrived so as I'm sure you can imagine, between the alcohol and the tiredness, Mevans here was a little on the merry side. It was good because we had a few things to celebrate so the pear vodka mixed with champagne worked a treat - until the next morning of course. Once we had got in after our night out, we ended chatting until about 5am and then the Welshies woke me at 9.30am on Sunday -  I was not in a good way - more out of tiredness than being hung over, but my goodness it really did effect me for the rest of the day.

I plonked my mates on a train back to the valleys and then met a couple of other mates for a cuppa and a catch up and then headed to my friend Dom's house (i just read that last line back and I realise I talk about so many friends in these blogs - it makes me look ever so popular doesn't it. haha) - I did the Rocky Horror Show on tour with Dom two years ago and his family are mostly Italian so every time I go to his flat he cooks me a huge pile of homemade pasta and it's AMAZING - So I was the worst possible guest, I turned up, chatted a bit, ate his food, fell asleep on his sofa and then left! Haha. No it wasn't quite that bad. We had a good catch up and a bit of a sing song around his piano. My voice hated me on Sunday though - if my voice had a voice it would've been saying "shut the hell up, give me a break and get some sleep you lanky singing twirp" - I'm not cut out for burning the candle at both ends - I struggle with just one end!!!

I headed home, started watching the X-Factor, got bored of it so had a long shower (loving the water) and then had a steam of the voice and an early night. Needed it!

Oh and I'm gonna say this while it's on my mind - I cannot tell you how frustrating it is when people suggest that rejects from the X-Factor should maybe "just do musical theatre"!!!!!…….. Our business is for working professionals who have trained for years learning their craft and developing a reputation within a competitive industry to carve out a decent career. So for the likes of Johnny Robinson or whatever his name is from the X-Factor, who i'm sure is a lovely guy, to be told that he should "just go into Chicago" or "just do some west end" - I find highly disrespectful. 
Performing 8 shows a week requires strength, stamina, discipline, experience and hard work and to simply assume that it's all tits and teeth showbiz glamour is far from the truth! …… So put that in your pipe and smoke it X-Factor people. There I've said it, rant over!  haha

Monday I had a lot of work to do on the TV show and then met my agent to give him some thank you gifts for being an amazing agent and friend and then I had another phone interview about my album before heading to my personal trainer to work me really hard. Finished my gym session with a good 50 lengths of the pool. Good times! Had a quick haircut at work afterwards and Louise (Glinda) and I were laughing because for some reason although my hair had been cut it looked higher during the show, so we were calling me Bart Simpson all night cos of my high quiff!

After monday night's show I headed home as soon as I possibly could to sleep! Boring granddad! 

I woke Tuesday and worked on the TV show before heading over to Chiswick in West London to meet Ben from the show for a coffee before we both went along to the musical theatre school Arts Ed to watch a production of 'Sweet Smell Of Success' which was performed by their 3rd years. I really rate Arts Ed as a very good college for all round musical theatre training. I'm friends with the principal and he has transformed that place into what is possibly London's leading theatre school. Andrew Lloyd Webber has a close connection to the college, every year he gives out a scholarship and it was just announced this week that Lloyd Webber is giving the college 3.5 million pounds to completely refurbish their theatre complex there. What an incredibly generous investment that is in the future of young talent! Good man!!! 

The show was good. There are some talented students there. The production values were far superior to what you'd expect of a college show. It was very enjoyable. I will be honest though. When I go to events like that it does remind me just how many people want to work in this industry and how there just aren't enough jobs for everyone and breaking into the business as a graduate is the hardest thing to do of all…….so don't even think about it Jonny big balls or whatever your name is from the X-Factor - leave it to the trained pro's (drop it already Mark! haha - i'm just kidding!)

After Tuesday night's show I was suppose to go along to West End Bowling but I opted out as I have too much to focus on for the end of the week and sleep is not as easy as usual with so much ticking around my brain so the sooner I get to bed to lay and rest the better. Instead, of bowling I went home, ran a bath, cooked a bolognese, soaked in the bath whilst listening to my TV show songs and then hit the hay! It did me the world of good!

Wednesday I woke up and felt very energised I packed ready for the weekend so I didn't have to do it today then I headed in to the pool to fit in 60 lengths before the matinee. I really enjoyed the two shows and after the evening performance one of my agents was in with a couple of guests so I had a quick drink with them last night before heading home. 

Which brings me to this morning. I have never typed a blog as fast as I have this one. My fingers are getting quicker.

There will be a news letter going out next week all being well so if you ain't signed up then head to my website to sign up! lots of exclusive news will be sent there!

I also realise that it's been a while since i've done a video blog (VLOG) so I am going to try my very best to film anything I can of my TV show process this weekend so you can see it - I'm gonna be super busy but i'll keep my camera with me to try and film things.

I hope you have a great week folks. Thanks again to those of you who've been messaging saying you've nominated me for 'Best Take Over In A Role' in the What's On Stage awards and for supporting Wicked as much as you do. I have 4 weeks left and I have adored playing this role!

Love your lives, love each other but most importantly, love yourselves - not in an arrogant way, just accept that you are wonderful because that's life!

Sh-boom!

Mark