Thursday 20 January 2011

Blog 27!!! Written on set!!!

Hi everyone. 

How are you all this morning???

I thought I would have a change of scenery so I am writing this blog from the set of Marcaroni. I have a morning with not as much to learn and a couple of scenes I'm not in so I thought I'd utilise this time I have. Also, I have found that whenever I'm on set and not doing anything I get really tired really quickly (fell into a deep sleep twice on Tuesday), so it's better to just keep going!

I have kind of got into a routine of blogging on Wednesday evenings but i couldn't last night as i had a meeting with someone about a possible Welsh documentary about me that might happen this year, along the lines of 'life as a West End performer. It's in the very early stages and might not happen for a while yet but never the less, last night i had to talk about myself and my life for a good two and a half hours as part of his research, and after a long day in the studio I would've much preferred to chat to him about something a bit more interesting, I know all there is to know about me so would've been nice to hear about someone else. Haha!

Yesterday was a tough day. Basically as far as Marcaroni filming schedule is concerned it is very ambitious, filming more than two episodes a day - however we are now, somehow well ahead of schedule because things have really settled in and it's all running like clockwork…..apart from the choreography days!!! Each episode of the show, my character of Marcaroni composes a new song for the children of the 'big big world' to learn- so every sunday we have to learn 10 dance numbers and every wednesday we have to film them. As you can imagine these days are really long and hard going! Granted, most of the moves are simple enough so that children can pick them up, but that sometimes makes it harder because they're easier to forget. Our choreographer Steve Elias is doing a great job though. He is great at the story telling elements of choreography which is so important with a programme like this because not only is it fun and exciting, it's also very educational so telling the story through movement is equally important as the script!
The bosses at S4C, which is the channel it will be broadcast on are absolutely thrilled with the work we've done. They've seen the rough edits of some of the programmes and they think it's going to be an incredible addition to the programmes they have on the channel already! This is great news for us and nice to get such a good response after all the hard work we're putting in.

I am finding that the 5.30am wake up calls are getting harder every morning. I go to the gym for a run or a swim every day when it opens at 6am for about 40 mins before heading to the studio to be in the make up chair for 7am - which probably sounds crazy to some of you but it keeps me in shape and gets me really motivated for the day ahead. It's just me and a lovely kind looking older lady who uses the rowing machine that are there together every day. We say 'hello' to each other every morning and that's it - we've never chatted because I think there's a mutual feeling of "it is far too early for polite chit chat so let's just get on with what we came here to do in our own little half asleep way"

I open in Wicked two weeks on Monday. I am so looking forward to it. Looking forward to getting on stage with everyone and being back in the Apollo Victoria theatre performing to that incredible auditorium and of course the audience and all the fans! The support that the Wicked company get from the Wicked fans is incredible - it's like no other show, such loyalty and devotion and I think that having such a fantastic group of people showing such support has really added to the success of this hugely successful award winning show! Without sounding too theatrical, It really is an honour to be heading back into the show!

Oooh hang on things have come to a stand still in the studio 'cause there is a strong smell of burning - it stinks! If this place goes up in smoke, I will be heading for the nearest exit clutching my laptop tightly 'cause this bad-boy is a dream! Speaking of which - two days ago, the fire alarm went off here so we all had to evacuate the building! So myself and my co-star Non were stood in broad daylight in public dressed like the most ridiculously colourful, happy, spritely people feeling very stupid getting strange looks from passers by - we then found out upon re-entering the building that is was because someone forgot about their toast in the toaster! It was hilarious 'cause no-one would own up to it!
Anyway, the burning smell this morning is still here but they've decided to carry on regardless, so to all of you loyal people who read my blogs and follow anything and everything I do and show such incredible support, I thank you and wish you well in your lives as i sit here and go up in smoke (because 'we can't stop as we can't afford to lose precious schedule time- nothing like health and safety eh? haha) I'm obviously being dramatic. It is all fine here! - still stinks though!

So last Friday night I went out in Cardiff with my friend Amy from the panto as her guest to their company meal, which was lovely. We went to an all you can eat indian/chinese/thai restaurant (Of course i ate all three and plenty of it too!) then we all went to a bar called 'WOW' as they'd put on a 'champagne' (think it was Lambrini) reception for the company. There were two drag artistes hosting the night and they ended up singing the 'Time Warp' which brought back many fond memories of my time with The Rocky Horror Show! Loved that tour so much and miss all the company very much! Looking forward to getting back to London when I start Wicked so I can actually be there to spend time with friends! 

Saturday daytime I spent a lot of time being productive, working on my summer school, album, concerts, website etc. Then in the evening the MD of my album, John Quirke came over for a few hours to discuss songs and arrangements and ideas! I am so excited about it! I have been wanting to make an album for ages but didn't want to do it until the time was right! I can't wait to get in the studio to start working on it! It is gong to be a real variety of songs, both in Welsh and English and the track list is going to be semi-autobiographical so that there is a kind of through line story going from beginning to end of the album! There are to be a few surprises too which I am saying nothing about until they have been confirmed but it makes me excited thinking about it - l I am having another meeting with the record label next week to make our final decisions before progress begins with orchestrations etc! Sh-boom!!! Scheduled to record in April for a summer time release!!!

I am sooooooooo looking forward to tomorrow night! My sister and my two brothers are coming down to stay with me in my lovely apartment I'm staying at in Cardiff bay! We didn't buy each other Christmas presents this year because we saved the money to just enjoy a good weekend in each other's company, without partners or kids or parents - which has not happened since we all flew the nest about 10 years ago! It's going to be great. They arrive about 9.30 tomorrow evening and are here until 3pm on Sunday! My sister has never been to Cardiff either - she's gonna love it! Love my family!

Just had to take a break from writing to shoot a scene in which I was shovelling porridge into my mouth for a good twenty minutes - now i want to be sick - The glamorous life of an actor eh??? Anyway……

My new website should be live within the next few weeks! I'm loving what my site designer Helen has done with it and also the pictures from the shoot I did with my great friend Nathan Amzi a few months back! Hope you all like it when it is live! I much prefer it!

I'm finding this very therapeutic - writing on set! Takes away the dullness that sometimes comes from hanging around for things to get set up etc! However, I do have a lot to say in this afternoon's scenes so maybe I should get studying!!! 

Get in touch folks - love hearing from you! Twitter name - MarkHEvans, Facebook fanpage - Mark Evans, Website www.MarkEvansOnline.co.uk, My summer school - www.WestEndInWales.com

Also get booking your tickets for the Bobby Cronin concert at the New Players theatre in London on February 27th! I have been sent one of the songs I'm going to be singing already and it is stunning - He's a wonderful composer and it'll be a real shame to miss his first ever London showcase! Here is the link to see who else is performing and to book tickets.
http://www.newplayerstheatre.com/london/events/thesongsofbobbycronin.asp

Right folks - thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed this week's blog.

Keep loving life and smiling because it makes everything feel great!!!

Sh-boom

Mark