Wednesday 12 January 2011

BLOG 26!!! You want answers???

BLOG 26!!! You want answers??? 

Hi everyone,

How are we all on this fine Wednesday evening???
I'm good -  A bit achey, because I've had a full day of filming song and dance numbers for Marcaroni. I said after the first song that it was like shooting a pop video as that song was slow and lovely and all about the wind - but then we went immediately into a song about a little grey chicken who lays anything but eggs - which resulted in us clucking about like a load of chickens on acid haha! Such a variety in my day to day professional life at the moment! So yeah, I'm a bit tired BUT I am being treated to dinner tonight which is being cooked for me by Non and Elan who work on the show! They're staying in the apartment next to mine! Treat!!!

So basically a very brief round up of my week for you as the most important thing about blog 26 is ANSWERS!!! - I'll explain in a mo!

So the end of last week was good- lots of hard work on Marcaroni then over the weekend I had a combination of gym, shopping, watching Cinderella panto in Cardiff (which was great), having dinner with friends, and learning dance routines all day sunday!!! So it was busy but nice to do some social things as well as either work on the show or be sat in my apartment learning scripts!!!

One exciting thing- my friend Laura Hamilton is one of the contestants on Dancing on Ice this year!!! She was in the skate off on Sunday night - purely because she's probably the least known celebrity on there - she's a kids TV presenter, but she is going to do so well - she is, apparently, as far as the skating is concerned, the favourite to win, but unless she gets more of a following and a real buzz about her she is going to struggle! I worked with her on the panto I did in Bromley two years ago, which was exactly the time I was involved in the Eurovision reality TV series and she was very supportive of me during that so if you could please vote for her and ask your friends and families to spread the word about supporting her- I'd be very grateful, and so would she!

One last thing before I give you some answers - I watched 'Burlesque' last night at the cinema, which is the new film with Cher & Christina Aguilera. I had heard good things about it but I have to be honest, apart from her good voice (which was kind of over produced on this occasion) I didn't like it. I felt like the characters weren't accurately executed, which i think was more of a problem with the script than the actors, it was very unsure of what messages it was trying to deliver to the viewer! I felt it didn't have enough drama and heart and was quite disappointed!!! Never mind, it's good to watch things you don't enjoy sometimes! I'm only being honest - and I apologise to Cher if she is reading this - actually, Cher, if you are reading this, first of all thank you for following my blog and second of all, use less botox - it might make it easier for you when you try looking sad...or angry...or happy...or excited... or even alive!!! Other than that, I thought you were great in the film! Well done!!!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Answers ............

This week I challenged those of you who follow me on Facebook and Twitter to think of the most interesting question you could for me and that I would pick one question to answer which I thought I could give you an equally interesting answer too and would let you know something about me that you might not already.

Now having read through all of your questions (and there were lots - I was overwhelmed and impressed) I have decided that I will tell you which was my favourite and answer that one first but then answer a few more too which I think you might like to know the answers too!


So my favourite question was sent in from Sarah Jones, and although it may not be the most groundbreaking question to some of you I liked it because there is scope for her to find out a lot about me in my answer - so here it is:


Q - Do you have and life ambitions/personal goals outside of acting/singing/dancing?

A- Although my career is such a massive part of my life and i feel very blessed to be able to do a job that I love so much and have worked so hard for over the last 15 years, and also, that I know so many young ambitious people would aspire to do to - it is still just my job, and i try and focus as much as i can on things outside of work and musical theatre in general. I am currently in the process of collecting everything I need, to apply for a U.S visa so that I can get to New York and work, but not only to work but to experience life in a different part of the world and New York is a city I fell in love with when I first visited in February last year and then again in September and I would love to have the chance to live there - even for a year or two and meet new people do amazing things.
Another ambition of mine is to buy a couple more properties at least - which is a massive task. I bought my flat which is in south east London just over two years ago and love it but would like to settle somewhere else. I love the idea of having a few properties and that's one of the reasons I work so hard all the time so i can make more spondooly.
I know that there will come a time when I don't necessarily feel I want to be working as hard as I do at the moment and I think that time will come when I settle down with someone. I am currently single (which is the answer to someone else's question-ha) but of course, I'm like most people on this planet, and like to think that I will meet the right person to settle down with at some point. I also love the thought of having children - I adore kids and am just a big kid myself really - as you'll see if you catch any of Marcaroni when it aires from April, as all I do is prat around like a looney child who's had way too much sugar on his birthday!!!
So I think by choosing to answer that question it shows you a bit more of what really matters to me. My priorities in life are health, happiness, family, friends and then my job!!!
Thanks for that question Sarah!

So a few more questions and answers now but a little more brief!

Q: Do you have any pre/post show rituals or traditions that you follow
A: Not really other than making sure I am vocally and physically fit for the show my warming up etc. I also, as most actors do, have some little insecurities that pop up and make an appearance in my head sometimes, so at these moments I listen to some calm music and read 'The Secret' by Rhonda Burne which is my favourite book and in some respects proved a lot of things to me about the way I live my life and it gives my reassurance when I need it!

Q: Fancy a pint?
A: After the day I've had - Yes please!!!

Q: If you were stranded on an island and could have 4 people from the Wicked company - past or present flown out to you, who would they be?
A: Good question, with a relatively easy answer - Ashleigh Gray, Caroline Keiff, Lucie Waugh & Oli Tompsett - Ash, Caroline & I were the three amigos when I was there 3 years ago and I adore them. Lucie had been a good friend of mine for years having trained and worked together before Wicked so it was very special that she was my partner in the OZdust ballroom, and Oli - because he's Oli, an incredibly funny, kind, genuine guy who always makes the most of life which would be a handy, being trapped on an island!

Q: What was it like working with Craig Revel Horwood?
A: I worked with Craig in Snow White at Venue Cymru in Llandudno last year. I can honestly say, he is one of the most hardworking people I have EVER worked with. We were performing 12 shows a week and our only days off were the days he had to travel down to London to film Strictly Come Dancing. He was singing, acting and dancing to an incredible standard and above all he's a lovely, lovely guy! he deserves the success he is getting off the back of Strictly! P.S what a director - genius!!!

Q: What skill would you like to learn?
A: My goodness, so many! I would like to learn to ride horses, speak Italian, Spanish and many other languages. I 'd love to play the piano, guitar and many other instruments. I would like to learn a bit more about music engineering and technology. I want to sky dive (not a skill if your strapped to someone but it just popped into my head) I'd like to be a great ice skater. So many!!!

I am going to leave this blog with that exact question for all of you - What skill would YOU like to learn???

Thanks again for all your questions. I really enjoyed reading them and will try and get back to you when I hopefully find the time.

I'll sing off now as this blog got looooong but I shall of course write another next week!!!

Love and happiness to you all!

Keep smiling

Mark

ps ain't spell checked this so I apologise for errors!!!