Thursday 8 December 2011

Blog 73!!! Last one from the Emerald City!

Hey Everyone,

How you all doing this fine Thursday morning?

It's pretty bloomin' cold eh?! I think I've been cold all week really, maybe that's cos i'm training to be a Ghost? I always remember Casper The Friendly Ghost being told he felt cold by the girl in the film when he touched him- maybe I'm a real method actor without realising it! 

I digress…..

So here's week's antics. Last Thursday after posting my blog I hopped on the train to rehearsals and practically plummeted into all the high drama scenes (which is the majority of the show to be honest cos hey, I'm dead!) but basically I got murdered for the first time on Thursday morning. I'll say this about the show, it's so well written scrip-wise and the music is so incredible that it really takes you to some immense places in your mind when your acting it. It's like being in a film the way it's all been orchestrated and directed. I finished one scene and said "I had heart palpitations just then, I'm sweating but I'm cold and my face is fuzzy!!!" - again maybe this is the process of actually becoming a ghost. haha.

Rehearsals were great and then I headed to work and more or less did the same thing on Friday. Most days this week have had to be as follows: Wake up, eat, rehearse all morning, eat, rehearse all afternoon, travel to Wicked, eat, perform the show, eat on the train home and then get to bed! My priority in my day is neither one of the West End shows I'm working on, but rather my daily consumption of food of course. I really enjoy food but also consider it as exactly what it is - fuel, and as soon as I get hungry, it's all I can think about and I am not happy until I eat.

I forgot to add to that list that I have a good 17 toilet breaks during the day (at least). Siobhan (who I'm rehearsing with and will be playing opposite in Ghost) and I seem to have synchronised bladders. We both look at each other and kind of say "do you need to pee? cos I do" and the other answers "yes I do" so we have a loo break! 
One thing that really concerns me about this is that although a large amount of water intake each day is very important, particularly for the voice, once I start the beginning of Ghost, I barely leave the stage for the entire first act which potentially means I may have to surgically insert a pee bag, else the intense drama might be ruined as Sam wets himself on stage which in turn will be slightly distracting for the audience I imagine.

Anyway, my mind is on a rambling streak this evening…. it's probably trying to get rid of some of the new information I'm shoving in there and hoping that it will somehow be retained in order to feel prepared and confident for the first performance of Ghost on January 13th.

I had a great weekend. Saturday I did some early morning Christmas shopping before heading to my second guitar lesson, which I loved. I then went to work and after the matinee we had our WICKED SECRET SANTA! We all picked a name of a company member out of a hat and then we had to buy that person a gift from Santa!

My gift was from Gemma Atkins in the ensemble (that secret didn't last long). She bought me a mug with a picture of the 5 girls from her dressing room who I very often join in between shows on a matinee day for something we call chicken club where we all chip in to buy a meal (usually containing chicken hence the name) and enjoy chilling together. So the mug had a picture of the chicken club members on it and I had some tea bags to go in the mug. Gemma had also, very kindly baked me some cakes. Four red and green cup cakes and one big cake in the middle shaped and iced like a Christmas tree. It was a great gift and I loved it!

Saturday night I headed home to sort my flat, my life and my schedule for the next week out so that I'd be able to chill out on my precious Sunday off. 

I woke Sunday and headed to meet a few friends to go to Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park which was perfect. I had a great time in a festive environment with great company. I then headed back to my mate's house to chill, decorate the christmas tree, have a big meal and play boardgames. It was the perfect Christamassy day and I loved it.

I woke on monday morning feeling really ready for a good week. It was sunny and the air was crisp and it was one of those days that I walked to the Piccadilly Theatre by 10am through Trafalgar Square and thought to myself "I love living in this city". I am a very positive person in general but I had a wave of "wow things are really good at the moment" and those moments don't come around often enough so it put a smile on my face and I've kept it for the rest of this week. I think I'm also relieved that I have finally fully gotten rid of the cough I had since my chest infection. Still need a tissue for the ole shnozzer occasionally but that doesn't bother me. Fighting fit, healthy and happy - what else could you want in the run up to Christmas? (Some time to buy presents maybe?) 

Monday night's show was good. I had a fair few friends watching and it was great to see them briefly afterwards. I sat on the train home on Monday night and thought "my goodness, that is the last time I'll perform WICKED on a Monday night, ever!" and it was a little odd. I am ready for new challenges etc but I shall definitely miss playing Fiyero and that theatre and those people and that show. It's been an incredible 10 months and I am eternally grateful that I had this wonderful opportunity.

Tuesday at rehearsals was good again and then I headed to work to perform the last ever Tuesday show of Wicked. After the show I headed home and packed a few things in a suitcase. Basically Wednesday (yesterday) morning I had to take a suit case to rehearsals with me and then to the theatre because I needed a smart suit for our Wicked Awards Night (last night) The awards happens at the end of a cast's contract - it's called the OZcars. And I also needed to leave a suit at the theatre ready for this afternoon as I shall be attending the WICKED YOUNG WRITER'S AWARDS at the theatre - at which, there will be a member of Royalty present. Camilla (my mate) is the patron for this amazing scheme that Wicked launched last year and are promoting really well to encourage and support young talented writers.

So the two shows yesterday were great and the party (OZcars) was very good, very funny and a little emotional as we watched a video montage of great memories.

And so on that note I shall finish my last ever 'blog whilst playing Fiyero in Wicked' by thanking each and everyone of you for your incredible support this year. I look forward to seeing lots of you at the Piccadilly Theatre stage door from January and at many other things I have planned for the new year! 

2012 is gonna be a great year.

Massive love to you all! Love your lives please.

Sh-boom!

Mark