Thursday 14 July 2011

BLOG 52!!! A WEEK TO RECOVER!!!

Hi Everyone,

Happy Thursday.

How are you all? 

So this week has primarily been focused on recovering after my week in New York. I had an incredible time there but as soon as I came back I just hit the ground running with work.

I spent the entire day last Thursday with the camera crew of the T.V documentary that's being filmed on me all this year (which is currently looking to be aired between Christmas and New Year, but not confirmed!) We were filming in and around the theatre and I was interviewed for a good few hours about my whole life really and it ended up feeling a bit like therapy. They just kept the camera rolling and other than asking a few specific questions, I basically just talked, and at one point I got pretty emotional. I never give myself much time to stop and look back at different things I've done or things I've been through and it was hard at moments but great to talk, and I think the crew were happy that they caught it on camera! Ha!

We finished at 5pm and so I went to have a swim to try and get back into shape after New York!!!

Then during Thursday evening they filmed my sections of Wicked which is the only footage that will ever have been filmed of our cast (even more reason to watch the documentary when it's on!) and that was a weird feeling, because after having a week away from the show, coming back to it, for me personally, I find I have to concentrate more to slot back in, because people's characters naturally evolve slightly over a long contract and I can even see a difference coming back after just one week away - which is great because you feel refreshed from a break and the show feels like new! But knowing there were cameras filming the show, and filming me specifically, after a week of burgers, pizzas and many a margarita, made me slightly more anxious - but I never let things like that effect what I do on stage and was happy with the performance on Thursday night as were the T.V crew.

After the show I was exhausted (between the filmed therapy and the show haha) so I headed home and passed out in my bed. Next morning it was an early rise again to sort a few things out before heading into central London to do more filming. They wanted general footage of me around the busy streets of London and just stocking up on general 'me' footage which becomes quite tedious at times, standing near different things, and walking around different areas, but it was good to get it done and we got some great stuff in the can. 
We were outside the houses of parliament and they were filming me in amongst the tourist and all of a sudden I heard an almighty scream of my name from a group of women who I'd have normally ignored (because people start acting weird as soon as they see a camera so I'm used to it) but I saw one of them out of the corner of my eye and I realised I knew them. Basically the reason the camera crew had specifically come down for those two days last week was because there was a group of 11 people from my village where I grew up in North Wales, booked in to see the show on Friday night so they wanted to be able to film them too. Well, they didn't know what I was doing or where I would be during the day, but low and behold, it was them that happened to spot me next to Big Ben and were calling my name. Hilarious! So I had a quick ten minute catch up with them before finishing up our last bit of filming.

I headed to the gym for a run and a swim and then to work. After they watched the show I did some filming with them and then a bit more by myself and by the time I went to meet them in the pub, they'd bought a few jugs of Pimms - so I thought it would be rude not to have a couple of glasses! - There is no taste more summery than a cold glass of Pimms with fresh fruit eh??? (anyone under 18 you're not allowed to have an opinion on that!) Even if it's raining outside it's a proper summer drink!
I had to leave them mid catch up after a couple of beverages to get my train but it was lovely to see them all and great to catch up. One of them was my first ever girlfriend Angharad - we were a VERY SERIOUS and happy couple when we were 5 years old!……She's happily married now! Ha.

Saturday morning I set my alarm for 9.30 to get a few bits and bobs done before heading in for the matinee, but I actually fell back to sleep and didn't wake up until 11.20! So unlike me. It was definitely the jet lag catching up with me. Most of Friday and Saturday I'd actually been feeling rather sick (like motion sickness) and I asked my loyal Twitter followers if feeling queazy can be caused by jet lag and according to a lot of you it really does. It's not nice. I just made sure I drank lots of water and ate really healthy food - basically just getting back to my normal self after 6 days of crazy NYC activities! 

I went to meet my sister and her friend as they were arriving London to go and watch Take That at Wembley on Saturday night. So I met them at Euston, showed them  a nice restaurant for them to have lunch at, took their bags off them and headed to the theatre.

The two shows on Saturday were good and after the show I met my sister and friend and they'd had a great time at Take That. I'm sure some of you reading this saw it too? Did Robbie Williams get naked during your performance too???……….I'm just kidding - she never mentioned that but I just wanted to make you feel you might have missed out on something hahaha. 
They were both exhausted so we headed home for nice nibbles and a cup of tea before bed!

When we woke I took them to Euston for their 11am train and then headed home to knuckle down with working on my summer school West End In Wales which begins in just over 3 weeks. It's going to be a good one. We've got some great ideas and it'll be a fun week for all.
In the evening I met my mate for a sunday roast and then the film Marley And Me was on the T.V which we watched - for any dog lover it is a very very sad film. 
So all in all it was a nice Sunday.

I woke on Monday and continued working on the summer school before heading into London to return some items of clothing I bought for New york that I didn't end up wearing. I put my sensible head on and told myself "Mevans, you ain't gonna wear 'em, so go get your money back" - so I did.
Then I finally had time to get back in the gym properly, I did over two hours on an all over work out and then had a steam. My body was killing me, then as I was leaving the gym I bumped into my Personal Trainer who said "are you all rested ready for tomorrow?" "WHAT?" I replied - I had completely forgotten that I'd scheduled in a training session with him the next day too. My muscles hate me right now!

Monday night we had Gemma Atkins on as Elphaba in the show. She's the understudy who played it once about 2 months ago. This was her scheduled performance and she had invited lots of people to watch and she did a great job. We were at college together 7 years ago and there we were playing opposite each other in Wicked. She was fab!

After the show I headed straight home and after a bowl of cereal (or two) I got to sleep!

Tuesday was much the same really, continued working on things at my flat before heading into town and then I had the dreaded PT session at the gym, which actually ended up being great. I did a good old warm up and ended up being shocked at myself as my trainer got me to press the heaviest dumbbells in the whole gym and I managed it fine! It's all about mind over matter - which works for me with lots of things outside of training too! Think positive and so much is possible!

We had our director Joe Mantello in watching the show on Tuesday night (he's the one I saw acting in 'The Normal Heart' on broadway who is PHENOMENAL!) - So it was good to see him. We have a session this afternoon working on the show with him and our choreographer Wayne Cilento - which is why this edition of the blog is being posted early.

Yesterday morning (Wednesday) I had a meeting with my manager and a Welsh T.V producer to discuss a very exciting project which is in the early stages at the moment but more or less all confirmed, and when it is - you'll be the first to know what it is. 

After that we did the matinee and then in between shows I had a meeting with the clothing stylist for the Magic FM concert I'm doing this Sunday. Is anyone coming? Elton John is headlining and people like The Lighthouse Family, Rumor, The Overtones (Sh-Boom!), The Pierces and Wonderland will also be performing. Rachel, Louise and I will be singing a few songs from WICKED. It'll be a great day! 22,000 people are gonna be in the crowd. If you're gonna be one of them, let me know on twitter! :)
So we picked out a cool outfit for me to wear and then I did the evening show and then headed home. 

There are always so many lovely people at stage door after the show. Really enjoy meeting them (or meeting YOU if you're one of them!) - last night there was a big group in from Texas and they were such nice people. 

So that more or less brings me to today, where I'm sat next to my desk writing this before heading into work to rehearse with one of the most talented actor/directors and choreographer I've ever met - Life is good!!!

I hope you're all well. Get in touch. @MarkHEvans on twitter.

I haven't done a VLOG this week because i didn't think me going to the gym would be very interesting to film! Ha.

Love your lives folks and smile!

Sh-boom!!!

Mark