Thursday 10 February 2011

BLOG 30!!! WICKED, WICKED, WICKED!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

Happy Thursday! Hope you're all well.

I don't really know where to start this week - so much has happened! Erm...well I'll start by saying how happy I am that I am sat in my flat in London writing this! I bought this place over two years ago and have probably been here for about 9 months of that, consisting of random weeks and weekends here and there, so to be here and know I'm not going anywhere for the rest of the year is AMAZING!!! Sh-boom!!!

So I blogged last Thursday and we were a day away from finishing 'Marcaroni'! So we did actually complete all 52 episodes and 52 dance routines by the Thursday afternoon, leaving just enough time on Friday to fit in an English pilot version of the programme which can be pitched to other TV companies world wide.

Thursday night, was our planned 'Eden' night (pronounced the Welsh way, with an 'Eh' not 'Ee' - Eden!)
Basically, Non, who I was working with was the lead singer of a hugely successful Welsh girl band consisting of 3 girls, Non, Rachel & Emma and they released some great tunes fair play (written by Caryl Parry Jones who wrote 'Marcaroni') and really broke the mould within the Welsh music industry. So one day on set, Non decided to teach me the choreography to their biggest hit 'Paid A Bod Ofn' (Don't Be Afraid) - It was Kim Gavin's choreography (Take That's choreographer) and it was brilliant - so 90's, and we were laughing so hard at the fact that I had learnt it randomly, that we decided 'O.K- before this shoot comes to an end we need an 'Eden' night where we can reminisce over what a great time they had and celebrate the pop group by watching DVD's of them' - which is what we did last Thursday. The other band member Rachel headed over to our apartments in Cardiff Bay and brought a load of footage of the girls with her. Funny night! Good times!

So Friday... I had my last swim in the complex pool - as those of you who are 'early  birds' on Twitter will know, I woke at 5am every day during filming to go for a run or swim before work. So I swam for the last time there on Friday morning! Then headed to work to film the English pilot - I'm not gonna lie, it was kinda weird - when you've filmed as many as 52 episodes and created and developed a character in one language to then have to do it in another language was bizarre! I had to really alter the character to get the quirkiness across and played him a bit older and wiser in English - not sure why it needed that, but we all agreed the writing suggested it! Love things like that though - a good challenge does an actor the world of good!
So then we finished. Non and I had lunch and did some shopping in Cardiff before heading out to the WRAP party - and for those of you who don't know, WRAP - as in "That's a wrap folks" stands for 'Wind Reel And Print! Always said at the end of a shoot. I found that out whilst filming in Bulgaria a couple of years back! You learn something new every day.
The party was great! Nice buffet, free car (that was a typing error - should have said free bar, but thought I'd leave it as it sounds amazing "yes daaaarling, we all got a free car at the end of the shoot yah yah yah" haha) and a private room so we could enjoy each-other's company and dance like fools without feeling embarrassed! Ha!
Then I had my trusty driver, Tony - remember me mentioning him in previous blogs?- He's the one who was driving me around during all the extra 'Marcaroni' work I had to fit in around 'Oklahoma!'. Lovely guy, and I was very grateful to him for driving me back to London after the party. We left at 10.45pm and arrived my flat at about 2.30am and then he was driving straight back to Cardiff! Rather him than me!
So that was the end of a very special chapter of my life and career! 'Marcaroni' is due to be broadcast around May time on S4C. I had a great time, learnt a lot, laughed a lot, and treasured a lot of fond memories! So long Marcaroni!

Now, on the journey into London with Tony Friday night, we drove past WICKED (the Apollo Victoria theatre) - which was a real "and now on to your next adventure" moment for me! I had butterflies!

Saturday I settled back into my flat (HURRAY!!!!!!) which involved going to Sainsburys and spending a bloomin' fortune, just because I wanted all my cupboards to be full to celebrate being home again for good! I also bought the little opening night gifts I decided to get for the company - a green bottle of white wine for the boys (Elphaba), a pink bottle of Rose wine for the girls (Glinda), and a pack of
Ferrero Rocher for everyone - but of course Monday night they were pronounced 'Fiyero Rocher' - I know, you don't have to say it, I am a genius! (Or just a big geek really)
The rest of Saturday I just worked my way through Wicked script and songs in my flat and any notes I'd been given regarding the role of Fiyero (Fiyero Tigelar - not Fiyero Rocher) and wrote the cards and prepared the gifts, which for nearly 40 people takes a long time!

Sunday was the first day of filming for the documentary that is being made about me this year for S4C! They arrived at my flat and did some filming here, we then headed into central London (getting a public announcement through the speakers at London Bridge station on the way - "Please put the camera away and stop filming immediately!" I pretended I wasn't with the crew and just got on a train - ha! - They did have a permit to film though!)
We then went and sat on a boat on the Thames - one of those ones that are permanently docked, opposite the London Eye. I was sat being interview on the deck of this boat for about and hour an a half in that horrible wind we had - I was chilly to say the least! But we got some good footage. They then headed back to my flat for more filming and then left me to have my evening to get a good rest and concentrate on the important day ahead of me on Monday!

So I woke in the morning feeling geared up for a great day. (I lay in bed Monday morning thinking 'when I lay here tonight I will have performed my first show! Crazy') The camera crew arrived at 8.30am to film me eating breakfast etc "So Mark, how are you feeling?" - "Erm, like an idiot, talking on camera with Special K Red Berries stuck in my teeth!!!"
We then got a car to the theatre, chatting on camera all the way, arriving about an hour before I was needed to do anything so I settled into the dressing room and we filmed bits and pieces outside!
Then the whole company warmed up in the theatre foyer and the atmosphere was amazing! So positive, so fresh and really inspiring! I knew then that it was going to be a good day!
The dress rehearsal went really well! It's harder for the ensemble because they have so many more costume changes than I do - but everything went swimmingly!

So I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you who sent in gifts or cards to me for the opening night (or any other show this week) - my dressing room is filling up with really thoughtful gifts and flowers and cards and pictures! It makes my day to get things like that and I always find a place for them in my dressing room! It's gonna look like the art gallery of Tony Hart soon!
But seriously, thank you! The Support for Wicked is incredible! Oo, forgot to mention, as we drove past the theatre on that Friday night about 1.30am - a number of fans were camping outside the box office in the terrible wind so that they could be first in line for the front row tickets for the last show of the previous cast (the tickets for the front row don't get released each day until the that morning and they are discounted at about half price!) Hard core fans there!!!

The opening night was incredible! I personally felt like it was what I have been working so hard for since I graduated from training over 5 years ago! I have learnt so much by doing different jobs, working with different people and experiencing various things in my life that I really feel I have plenty to offer this wonderful role and it felt great to be up there doing it on Monday! Then the realisation that I get to do it again the next day, and the next day and for the rest of this year is amazing! Time is going to go so quickly but I shall treasure every single moment! Particularly working opposite Rachel Tucker and Louise Dearman! Extraordinary talent, and great to act opposite! Good times!

So yes since Monday it has just been a case of settling into the show and getting to know my fellow company members! It was good to do two yesterday! Feel it's really settling in now!

Which brings us to today I woke, feeling very happy! I know that all of you who are faithful readers of my blog understand that I work very hard and am a very positive person, but today I feel like there's really not a care in the world, and this feeling doesn't ever last long, does it!?! - without something coming in to try and take it away (a large tax bill for example haha) so I would like to say I am passing this positivity and these good vibes to you, via my blog, and thank you for supporting and for taking the time to follow my blog! Hope you enjoy it!
Oh by the way - if you didn't read this article please do! I am touched, the way it's been written I think is lovely. I usually find that journalists primarily just use facts and quotes but Matt Thomas here has inserted his own thoughts and opinions  - including what he thinks of my blog too! I like it - have a read!

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/showbiz-and-lifestyle/showbiz/2011/02/04/a-wicked-role-for-mark-evans-91466-28110634/

Right then, I think that's long enough eh?!?!?! Haha! They won't always be this long, it's been a busy week!

Keep smiling, stay happy and get in touch - Twitter MarkHEvans.

Sh-boom!!!

Mark